Daniel Müller-Schott: I feel culture and music are essential in our societies


Daniel Müller-Schott ranks among the world’s best cellists of his generation and can be heard on all of the foremost international concert stages. He has made his mark by delighting audiences for two decades “a fearless player with technique to burn” (New York Times).

Daniel Müller-Schott guests with leading international orchestras and has appeared in concert with such renowned conductors as Vladimir Ashkenazy, Thomas Dausgaard and Charles Dutoit. 

Now Mr Müller-Schott is going to perform with Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra  on 16/07/2018 in Odeon of Herodes Atticus in Athens for one concert only. 

I interviewed Mr Müller-Schott and we talked about the prize that he won at age 15 in Russia and how this effect his career, his happiness of coming to Greece and of course about the collaboration with TSSO. 



You have an incredible career as a musician. And also, you had collaborations with famous leading orchestras from around the world. Now you are coming to Greece, to perform with the Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra to the most amazing theatre, The Odeon of Herodes Atticus, located on the southwest slope of the Acropolis of Athens. 
How are you feeling about that? How did you get involved with the T. S.S.O. Tell us more about this collaboration. How it came to life? 

Actually, this will finally be my first concert in Greece - and I’m greatly looking forward to it! To make music together with wonderful musicians in this fantastic and historical place is a huge honor. There were a few plans in the past and finally now, it will happen! 

You studied with Walter Nothas, Austrian cellist Heinrich Schiff and British cellist Steven Isserlis. Violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter personally coached you. At aged 15, you won the first prize in the International Tchaikovsky Competition for young musicians in Moskow in 1992. Was that a turning point in your career? 

Yes, the Tchaikovsky Competition at such a young age was the start of my career as a soloist. In 1992 Russia had just opened the gates to the West. People could travel freely for the first time. Western businesses were gradually opening up there. There was an incredible sense of a new beginning. At the same time there was this huge Russian tradition of educating children and students. The opening concert of the competition featured all the big names of the young generation of musicians. It was a three-hour concert, which went out on television. I was deeply impressed by the musicianship, the discipline, the power and the passion. Luckily for me, the competition started with violin and piano and that meant I had a week in hand. In that week I really saw nothing out-side my hotel and prepared myself as intensively as I possibly could. It was a surprise for me that I made it to the final and then took first prize. I can see it now: the jury came on stage in the Tchaikovsky Conservatory with great ceremony. Everything was announced in Russian of course. I understood nothing but my name and assumed that the competitor with the lowest prize was announced first. I was pleased and thought: Great, I’ve got a prize! Then my Russian pianist came up to me and she congratulated me: “First Prize, First Prize!”. I couldn’t believe it. That was an incredible moment and truly the start of my solo career. 


I’d like to know a little bit about your background as a cellist and your early upbringing. Tell us a little bit about your early studies. How you became the star that you are today. Do you remember anything from when you first started playing the cello? 

Well, I grew up in a musical family. My mother played the harpsichord, taught the piano and organ. So it was only natural, that at some point I would pick an instrument for myself. I still remember, when I was 5 years old, my mother took me into a rehearsal of the Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks. They played Schumann Cello Concerto. And I was totally blown away by the music, the instrument, how warm it sounded, how it looked etc. - love at first sound so to speak! Luckily my mother immediately found a good teacher for me and I started a few weeks later. 

You are a wonder kid. How this effect your personal life and career all this years? 

I don’t see myself as something like a prodigy. I feel more someone like Mozart really was something like it. I just had joy and talent and the luck to pick an instrument, that fitted well for me. Over the years to integrate the music into your life, is something both challenging and exciting. One must be very organized with travelling, playing and maintaining a good and healthy family life. I love all aspects of it. Seeing so much of the world and meeting many people, bringing joy to their lives with music is absolutely rewarding! 


What’s your daily work routine? Do you have a different routine when you have a concert or recordings?

I did have a routine, when I was studying. Now it’s more complicated: I sometimes have to take out the cello at airports to find some time to practice. But I try always to stay in very good shape and balance making space for my concentrated studies. For recordings I prepare like a marathon - it is almost like a 5-hour concert and to gain the energy like in a concert performance is even more demanding. 


Do you have any cello heroes? 

Of course, I love my teachers, someone like Rostropovich was a hero in my youth of course. But also, Daniil Shafran, Emanuel Feuermann, Pierre Fournier, Pablo Casals, Jaqueline du Pré have always been greatest inspirations. 

What do you think makes the cello or the cellists special? 

I guess it is the instrument that reflects the human soul. This makes it very special for me! 


You are part of Rhapsody in School project for children. How they are participated with you during the masterclasses and do you think that music helps at young age a child to find their path in life. 

It is very important today finding the time to reach out to people. Especially since the education for music is getting less and less important in schools, I'm trying to help and work together with schools in order to present my love for the music, the cello as something that everyone can try and learn and why I feel culture and music are essential in our societies. I truly believe, that music and culture are the links to redefine ourselves, to feel the power, that in every live situation music can help us and give us new hope. 

There are so many talented young cellists who dream to be a soloist like you. Are there specific qualities that are required to do this kind of job? 

I think, if you love what you are doing, you will always find a way to succeed. There are many ways participating in the music world, you can play in ensembles, orchestras, teach, etc. My only suggestion would be to stay true to yourself in what you do in your life! 

Technology is everywhere in our days. How do you see the future of music; You think that technology will erase music or will embrace her? 

I believe in the positive qualities: These days we can reach people all over the world, from the most diverse cultures and share our values. I think this is greatly fascinating! I believe, that technology will only add to the music we hear today. 

What are your future plans? 

I'm very happy to continue my life with music and sharing these experiences with many people - this time in Greece will be very special and I’m happy to return in the future! 

More about the concert  here




Διαβάστε την συνέντευξη στα ελληνικά  εδώ

Σχόλια